Organ Specification

 

K T Bruce PhotographyThe current instrument was built in 1865 by Nicholson of Worcester and was restored and enlarged by Noel Mander in 1961. A major restoration of the instrument was undertaken in 2005 by Harrison and Harrison. This included the re-instatement of all the mechanical action for the manuals, improvements to the pedal organ and four new stops.

The organ stands on the floor in the North West corner and has two manuals and pedals. The manual action is mechanical, whilst the pedal is electro-pneumatic. The manual compass is 56 notes, the pedal is 30 notes.

On either side of the organ there are boards listing all the previous organ scholars and directors of chapel music from the first organ scholar listed, William Boyd in 1866. This list includes a number of people who have gone on to hold distinguished posts in church music, and in the wider musical world.

The current specification:

Pedal Organ

1. Bourdon 16′
2. Principal 8′
* 3. Fifteenth 4′
* 4. Bassoon 16′

Great Organ

5. Open Diapason 8′
6. Stopped Diapason Treble 8′
7. Stopped Diapason Bass 8′
8. Dulciana (tenor c) 8′
9. Principal 4′
10. Flute 4′
11. Fifteenth 2′
12. Mixture III

Swell Organ

13. Stopped Diapason 8′
14. Spitz Flute (bass from Stopped Diapason) 8′
15. Gamba 8′
16. Principal 4′
* 17. Flute 4′
18. Piccolo 2′
* 19. Trumpet 8′

Couplers

Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
Swell to Great
Swell Octave to Great

Three composition pedals to Great
Two composition pedals to Swell
Reversible pedal Great to Pedal

* New stops (Harrison & Harrison, 2005)

Latest News

Read more